Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Mornings are for Adventures

I like sunrises.  I like to think that I sort of "collect them."  I'd rather get up early on New Year's Day to watch the first sunrise of the year than stay up late on New Year's Eve.

My favorite time was as a kid, when my parents, brother, and I did just that.  We brought the camp stove and mom made us breakfast at the point.  Those photos are in a box in my dad's closet, but this one is from a solo trip I took to Hawaii during my freshman year in college.  The friend I was staying with slept in, but I slipped out to the beach to catch the sunrise.

Jan. 1, 1995 Iroquois Point, Ewa Beach, Hawaii
One of my favorite things to do in Acadia National Park is watch the sunrise from Cadillac Mountain.

July 27, 2014, Cadillac Mountain, Acadia National Park, Maine
I think, technically, I am a "morning person."  During the school year, though, when my alarm goes off at 5:00AM, I do not feel like a morning person.  If there are degrees of morning people, I'm like a "Seven AM" morning person.

My husband is not so much into mornings.  If given the opportunity, he'll sleep in til nine or later, though he almost never gets to do this.  Mornings before work are painful for the poor guy.


But when it comes to adventures, the early morning hours are magical.

Morning sunlight = beautiful photographs
While on a work day, it might take Jon forty-seven minutes to open his eyes, I've seen him pop up and head out before dawn to photograph the sunrise or hit a good fishing spot some distance away.

Adventure Husband, March 9, 2013, Sunrise at Ferry Beach, Scarborough, ME (with Orson and Finn)
But this isn't just about sunrises.  Mornings are perfect for adventures of all kinds.

When we headed out on our last road trip, we left at 4:30 AM.  Jon's onto something when he says, "no matter what time we leave, it still feels like we've been driving forever by 3PM.  We might as well be three or four hours further along at that point."

June 23, 2016, 8:08 AM--nearly four hours into the trip, en route to Kokomo, IN from Freeport, ME
I also love beating the crowds to my favorite restaurants by getting up early, especially the teeny-tiny places.  I highly recommend Hot Suppa, which opens at 7 daily (7:30 on Sundays), and of course Becky's Diner, which opens at 4AM.  Both of these places fill up fast.  Going early is best.  The earliest I've been to Becky's is around 5:15 AM.  Delightful!

Early Sunday mornings are perfect for getting to know a city--the roads are clear, you can take your time.  Jon likes to get his hair cut on Saturdays by 7AM--who wants to waste the day in line at the barber shop?

And of course, Dog Beach is best (and in the summer only available) early in the morning.

Love those long morning shadows.
July 3, 2016, 7:17 AM, Higgins Beach, Scarborough, ME
A day started early is a day well filled.

But then, sleeping in sometimes is nice, too.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A person should proofread before she posts... Here I go again:
    I love your reflections and photos, sometimes both at once. I'm a lark, too. The pending quality of light and hours feels sweet.

    ReplyDelete